Session 5

Jul 09 20:09:20 Dry|GM: The sky is still overcast and gloomy and shows no signs of clearing as the party pokes about the city of Sylmore in search of their misplaced comrade, Zekki. Luckily, Ambrutus is difficult to forget, and so it’s not long before the party finds themselves headed for Sylmore’s western gatehouse.
Jul 09 20:10:05 Dry|GM: [Time: Shortly before noon. Place: Sylmore City Wall, Western Gatehouse. Weather: Overcast, chance of rain.]
Jul 09 20:10:14 Dry|GM: [Free to Act: All]
Jul 09 20:10:56 * Ashilyn is now known as Corwyn
Jul 09 20:13:18 Corwyn: Corwyn lets out a long yawn as she walks towards the back of the group, taking a moment to adjust her hat. “Forget all the worries about weapons an’ stuff,” she mutters outloud, looking around the gatehouse a bit nervously. “Someone should use some a’ that Dreamstone t’ fix the weather out here.” As they near their destination, she stops and exhales sharply. “I can’t believe I let you
Jul 09 20:13:18 Corwyn: lot talk me into this.”
Jul 09 20:13:18 Bira: Bira eyes the sky with clinical disinterest. “Do you think it will rain? I haven’t actually seen rain before.”
Jul 09 20:14:39 Sissil: “Would you rather we let you talk your way into deeper trouble with the local constabulary?” Sissil notes, seemingly quite relieved to be in the shade the clouds offer. Or at the very least, she doesn’t seem to be taking quite the caution about staying completely under her hood and cloak she seems to most the time.
Jul 09 20:14:50 * Seong turns slowly to Bira. “Are you serious?”
Jul 09 20:14:54 Zekki: “Ambrutus, leave the nice guard person alone.” Zekki is endeavouring to depart, a task made more difficult due to an impromptu tug-of-war between her dog and a guard. With the handle of their pike being the tugged-on thing. Ambrutus isn’t being rough, it’s just … he’s not letting go, either. “Put it down!” Unrepentant beast is happily wagging his tail. At least the guard isn’t entirely displeased. Hopefully. Probably? Zekki is
Jul 09 20:14:54 Zekki: trying to call her pup to heel at least. “Sorry, honestly. This is why I wanted to take him out for a run. He gets right unmanageable when not properly excersised. Ambrutus!” Finally the guard gets his pike back, a little bit wet and tooth-marked but otherwise unharmed.
Jul 09 20:16:41 Bira: “Sixty-five years underground. I’ve read about it, but it’s different from the drippy season.”
Jul 09 20:17:40 Dry|GM: The guard in question grunts noncommitally, looking like he’s trying to decide whether to be amused or irritated; someone calling him from the gates cuts off consideration of either, though, and off he goes.
Jul 09 20:18:49 * Seong “Huh. Well, you’re going to get annoyed with rain after the first few times, but it’s not that bad.” She nods.
Jul 09 20:19:31 Sissil: “… I honestly still find rain delightful. It’s not snow.”
Jul 09 20:20:25 Corwyn: “I, on the ohter hand, am hoping the rain waits until we’re well and done here. The rain is wonderful. Being stuck out in the rain?” COrwyn shakes her head, hands on her hips as she stops and watches the guard for a moment. “Not so much.”
Jul 09 20:26:38 Zekki: Prancing dog, like he’s just done something clever. Zekki sighs at her overly enthusiastic pup, and Ambrutus is quick to bound towards the rest of the group, enthusiastic tailwags and big paws prancing. If people aren’t careful they’re apt to get a lick, right across the face. Zekki follows a little more sedately, settling her pack back in place, and making sure all her things are in it.
Jul 09 20:27:38 * Seong pets Ambrutus vaguely. “So we had some bar to get to, Sissil?”
Jul 09 20:28:07 Bira: Bira is not careful. “Oopfth. Morning, Ambrutus.”
Jul 09 20:29:08 * Sissil meanwhile is not only careful to sidestep the licking, but gives the canine a scritching behind the ear. “Not until closer to sunset. WE have some time to look into other things. ANd fill our friend in on how the morning has gone so far.”
Jul 09 20:31:32 Zekki: “For persons requesting assistance, the local guard people are remarkably reticent in providing information that may greatly improve your helpfulness.” Zekki notes, somewhat disgruntled. Ambrutus finishes greeting the people, and getting petted, and starts to sniff around and investigate ..whatever it is that dogs find interesting in general. “What did I miss?”
Jul 09 20:32:42 Bira: “Well, we spent the morning being persons of interest in a murder investigation. Remarkably, it seems we’re innocent.”
Jul 09 20:35:20 * Seong sighs. “The alchemist is either dead or kidnapped. We don’t have hard evidence either way.”
Jul 09 20:39:45 Zekki: “Huh, that’s why they looked at me oddly. And kept on asking about professional jealousy or something. Like what? Dude was in over his head and didn’t want help. Not my business but I offered.” Zekki lifts her shoulders in a shrug. “We’re not allowed to go anywhere just yet though, which is troublesome for Ambrutus.”
Jul 09 20:41:34 Bira: “You may want to offer your expertise looking over the remains of his notes. I managed to piece together a meticulous table of pressure readings, but I couldn’t connect them to anything concrete.”
Jul 09 20:42:57 * Seong “If you’re good at puzzles, we could use you putting the bits back together too.” She adds helpfully.
Jul 09 20:43:14 Zekki: “They wouldn’t show me anything. And got all in a tizzy when I asked to see the lab. Like having curiosity was the biggest sin.” Zekki shakes her head slightly in exasperation “I’d love to have a look. Might be good, might be bad, depends on the weather and how much I’ve had to drink.”
Jul 09 20:47:15 * Seong “I don’t think you’re going to be able to put much together from it. His notes aren’t going to show why someone wanted him dead.” She shrugs. “In fact, that bit is kind of obvious.”
Jul 09 20:49:43 Zekki: “Depends on if he succeeded, failed, or was getting to close for comfort for someone that was watching.” Zekki notes “If getting too close, might be killed. If failed, may have coincidentally died, if succeeded and deemed no longer necessary…” She trails off and shrugs again “But, if he did succeed, then odds are he’s relocated to somewhere else by persons interested in keeping that success a secret.”
Jul 09 20:50:17 Sissil: “… Given the ore isn’t present in the lab, a hidden notebook was, and the level of destruction isn’t nearly big enough…”
Jul 09 20:50:30 Sissil: "I think we can rule ‘failure’ out
Jul 09 20:54:36 Zekki: “Mmm…. likely. Yes. I hope he’s in comfortable quarters. He looks like he feels the cold more than most.”
Jul 09 20:54:41 * Seong “I definitely think this is foul play.”
Jul 09 20:57:32 Sissil: “… I’m currently betting the body isn’t his.”
Jul 09 20:57:47 Sissil: “ANd thus we are actually dealing with a missing person. But that’s my personal hunch.”
Jul 09 20:59:12 Zekki: “Hunches are good. Instincts tell you a lot about the world around you. You ought to pay attention to them, you’ll probably be right more than you thought you would be.”
Jul 09 21:00:16 Sissil: “… Oh I know. That’s why we’re taking turns watching the hallway tonight.” Sissil grins. “Whoever is after him might be worried he talked.”
Jul 09 21:01:17 * Seong takes a drink from her colorful gourd. She offers it to Zekki.
Jul 09 21:03:23 Zekki: “Which he did. Sort of.” Zekki peers at the gourd, takes it and has a sniff, before sipping. “Thanks?”
Jul 09 21:04:12 Dry|GM:
Jul 09 21:04:18 Dry|GM: The party reunited, they turn their attention towards their next step; Sissil’s earlier information gathering had suggested that the two bandits she was looking for wouldn’t be in until later in the evening, so the party decides to kill some time by checking out the relative that Detective Raines had mentioned.
Jul 09 21:04:18 Dry|GM: After a bit of wandering through the city, the party finds their way to the destination, a large building located at the edges of the upper class section of the city.
Jul 09 21:05:57 Dry|GM: [Time: 2 pm. Place: ‘Chartreuse House’, outskirts of upper class quarter]
Jul 09 21:06:04 Dry|GM: [Free to Act: All]
Jul 09 21:09:14 * Seong ‘s gourd is apparently full of plum liquor. Half full, anyway. "Anyone want to take bets that we’re going to find a dead body?"
Jul 09 21:10:02 Corwyn: “Why, so they can blame us for that too?:”
Jul 09 21:10:09 Dry|GM: The two-story ‘Chartreuse House’ (as the sign proclaims it to be) looks like it might have, at one point, been a lesser nobleman’s summer house. It is (thankfully) not actually chartreuse-colored though.
Jul 09 21:10:17 Sissil: "Too easy.
Jul 09 21:11:15 Corwyn: Corwyn remarks, rolling her eyes. “Hopefully we’re not that unlucky. I imagine if someone wanted her dead by now, they’d have done it and we’d know about it.” She pauses, looking thoughtfuil for a moment. “Then again these detectives seem pretty dense…”
Jul 09 21:11:22 Sissil: “No, we’re going to find evidence of a struggle. A house torn asunder, and”
Jul 09 21:11:37 Dry|GM: As the party approaches, the front door swings open… and a familiar looking rumpled man emerges. He seems to be in conversation with a pair of men—presumably City Watch—who are following behind him.
Jul 09 21:11:57 Sissil: “… Oh this is promising.”
Jul 09 21:12:05 Zekki: “It does stretch the bounds of coincidence though.” ooh plum Liquor! Another sip, and Zekki hands it back to Seong. “Oh look, not a dead body and not a torn asunder house either.”
Jul 09 21:12:09 Bira: “A hastily-packed bag and an open window is my guess.”
Jul 09 21:13:03 * Seong “I dunno, I’m just thinking…if I were an assassin, whoever this relative is would be pushing up daisies.” She flashes Zekki a smile before tying the gourd back onto her hip.
Jul 09 21:14:09 Sissil: Sissil shuts up as the group nears the poor detective
Jul 09 21:14:15 Dry|GM: He glances both ways, looks over the party… then his gaze turns back to them, locking on. He speaks a couple of words to the two with him, clearly dismissing them as he turns towards the party; behind him, the two officers hesitate, exchanging a glance… then, with a shared shrug, they head off in the opposite direction. One of them is carrying a bag of some sort—evidence?
Jul 09 21:15:10 Corwyn: “Oh, this is going to be good,” Corwyn intones,s topping as the two officers wander off.
Jul 09 21:16:16 * Zekki is more than a little interested in the bag. And the house. And the relative. She’s shifting from one foot to another, apparently wanting to ask All The Questions. “…Is there a head in that bag? It is very round. And looks heavy.”
Jul 09 21:17:52 Corwyn: COrwyn gives Zekki literally the most disbeliving stare she can manage
Jul 09 21:22:00 Sissil: Sissil just sighs. “Zekki, Can I make the advice of perhaps opening with slightly less morbid questions?”
Jul 09 21:22:40 Bira: “It’s a fair question, just… not a good opener, yes.”
Jul 09 21:23:24 * Seong “Is it a head, though?” She asks in a plain tone.
Jul 09 21:23:47 Dry|GM: The rumpled man eyes Zekki—and Ambrutus—and his lips quirk into a tired-looking almost-smile. “No. It’s not a head.”
Jul 09 21:24:31 Zekki: “Well it’s probably not a coconut!” Zekki apparently does not see the problem with her line of questioning. She blinks in confusion at the others who are apparently in various stages of facepalming. “Is it a coconut?” Yep. It’s either a head or a coconut. Clearly these are the only options.
Jul 09 21:24:33 Dry|GM: “You’d be the alchemist. Someone’s already questioned you?” he asks, raising an eyebrow; from nowhere he produces a small notebook and pencil.
Jul 09 21:24:57 Zekki: “Zekki. And this is Ambrutus.”
Jul 09 21:26:32 Sissil: Sissil facepalms. “She was with a guard when we found her.” Sissil offers. “… trouble in the ranks?” She asks with a head tilt
Jul 09 21:27:23 Dry|GM: He inclines his head. “Sam Raines, Sylmore City Watch. I’m the detective in charge of this case.” He nods to Sissil, the notebook vanishing again… then frowns at her question. “Not really,” he says, sounding uncomprehending.
Jul 09 21:29:38 Sissil: “… I see.” She sighs and rubs her forehead and just lets the topic drop.
Jul 09 21:31:12 Corwyn: Corwyn scoff, wandering a bit off to the side as she looks around. “I assume City watch is here to make sure everyone safe. I do hope that’s the case.” The sincerity in her words is strained at best, but not entirely unfounded. “We were questioned at the… alchemist’s shop. THe other one, not ours. I don’t think she’s ever had a shop.” THat, however, does have a mark of playful sarcasm
Jul 09 21:31:12 Corwyn: to it, COrwyn offering a smile over tyowards Zekki. “Is something wrong here?”
Jul 09 21:31:13 Dry|GM: The detective eyes Sissil for a moment, frowning, then shrugs. “Anyway. Since you’re here, I might as well tell you… you’re probably not going to be stuck in the city for too long.”
Jul 09 21:32:08 Sissil: “That’s… good. What did you find?”
Jul 09 21:32:22 Zekki: “Nice to meet you! Sorry I was out and about when you had my friends as guests. Ambrutus gets unruly if he’s not walked regularly, and then there were problems getting out the gate and - you know the beer at the Kings table is watered down right? They mix it with cheaper stuff to enhance the punch without the cost. Not that beer or ale is particularly expensive to make in the -first place, but they charge you just to get in the
Jul 09 21:32:22 Zekki: -door- and — Oh I have a shop. Sort of. It’s on Ambrutus’ back mostly, because I like to wander around a lot and its easier and often more prudent to sell my wares transiently. Folks get all sorts of agitated about my presence after a while.”
Jul 09 21:38:32 Dry|GM: Raines stares at Zekki. Blinks. Narrows his eyes. Finally, he nods; he pulls the notebook back out and scribbles a few words, then stashes it again. “Watered booze, huh? I’m going to have a chat with One-Eye on that one…” he mutters, then shakes his head. “Anyway. Wasn’t a bloody dagger, but… well. It was enough. You can look the place over yourself, if you can get the old lady to let you in.” He shrugs.
Jul 09 21:39:19 * Seong “Any question of evidence being placed deliberately?”
Jul 09 21:42:58 Dry|GM: “By someone else, you mean? Not really.” He sighs. “Girl kept a diary. Last entry looked like premeditation.”
Jul 09 21:43:43 Zekki: “You could just go drink somewhere less expensive.” Zekki notes lightly, tilting her head slightly “Same handwriting?” She asks curiously, before looking around for her dog, “Ambrutus! …Where have you gotten yourself?”
Jul 09 21:45:13 Dry|GM: “I have a discount,” the detective notes drily. “As to that… looked close. We’ve got some guys at headquarters who can go over it with calipers and all that.”
Jul 09 21:47:30 Bira: “Oh, interesting. Do you think I could talk to them about their techniques? The Grand Library has had a few problems with forged manuscripts.”
Jul 09 21:47:55 Zekki: “Did you ask her?” Zekki asks curiously, starting to wander off to search for her pooch …Who is in the yard of the house, pawing at the door and whining to be let in.
Jul 09 21:50:14 Dry|GM: He arches an eyebrow. “Most people under suspicion of murder—I’m sorry, categorized as ‘persons of interest’—tend to want to stay away from the Watchhouse,” the detective says, looking vaguely amused; he takes a swig from his flask before stashing it again. "For a more formal answer: probably not in this case, given that you are still technically categorized as persons of interest. Honestly I shouldn’t be telling you as much as I am, b
Jul 09 21:51:37 Dry|GM: He shrugs. “My gut says you’re not involved with this. As does the available evidence, but the gears of Justice haven’t quite gotten around to officially recognizing that just yet.” He has an ironic and somewhat bitter smirk on his face as he says this; he takes another drink from the flask.
Jul 09 21:55:19 * Bira nods. “I’ll see about submitting a formal request once this matter is cleared up.”
Jul 09 21:55:45 * Seong “If we were going to kill him, it would be pretty arrogant to have dinner with him. And if it were from something that happened at dinner, it’d be pretty stupid of us to off him RIGHT after.” She shrugs.
Jul 09 21:56:41 Bira: “‘Arrogant and-slash-or stupid’ happens to cover a lot of criminals, from my reading.”
Jul 09 21:58:05 Zekki: “Ambrutus.” Zekki is now trying to coax the dog back “Look, I know it’s an interesting new place, but the person inside probably doesn’t want to be disturbed.” Wruff! “Don’t give me that. They’ve had a bit of a shock and a loss.”
Jul 09 21:58:22 Dry|GM: “That, yeah.” Raines nods agreement. “Crimes of passion, et cetera.” he trails off, shaking his head. “Anyway, best I get going. There’s work to be done back at headquarters.” He sighs, rubbing at his forehead with one hand.
Jul 09 21:58:30 * Seong “Granted. And if he were just bashed over the head outside of his house, I might say that WOULD fit. But it was obviously framed to look like an accident.”
Jul 09 21:59:10 Sissil: "… Fair warning. I don’t think your men like you too much… But that is what it is.
Jul 09 21:59:53 Corwyn: " really poor accident too," Corwyn notes, turning back to the others. “That place was a mess in a way no alchemist I’ve ever met would allow.”
Jul 09 22:02:00 Dry|GM: Raines blinks at Sissil for a moment; his expression tightens. “Not surprising, I guess. This…” he pauses and chuckles, a bit bitterly. “First big case I’ve had in awhile. They’re probably wondering why someone they’ve heard of didn’t get it.” He shrugs, straightening a bit. “But I’m gonna get this one done right.” He nods to the party, then turns to leave.
Jul 09 22:02:24 Sissil: Sissil sighs, then walks up to the door to knock on it. Not a hard knock, a gentle one.
Jul 09 22:02:46 * Seong “Good luck. If we find anything, we’ll probably tell you.” She nods, then turns to watch the door.
Jul 09 22:03:18 Dry|GM: There is a pause, then… “Can I help you?” It sounds like a fairly young woman.
Jul 09 22:03:55 Sissil: “… My name is Sissil. I was looking into some going ons that happened after a delivery I helped make, and was told that someone here might know more.”
Jul 09 22:05:16 Dry|GM: There is another pause; some muffled conversation can be heard. “Come in. The… dog… has to stay outside, though.” There is a click, then the door opens slightly.
Jul 09 22:07:02 Zekki: “Ambrutus is a sweetheart.” Zekki protests lightly, letting out a soft sigh as there is a large dog-nose trying to worm in between the halfling and the door in the opes of getting in when said door opens. Whine. “Ambrutus.” Zekki gives him a look “You stay outside.” Poke of gnomefinger to dog nose. Disgruntled dog flopping down across the entryway. Sigh.
Jul 09 22:08:31 Zekki: Sneeze from Ambrutus, and a disgruntled chuff at the door, before he moves a little further away. The garden will never be the same.
Jul 09 22:10:06 Dry|GM: The girl who let you in is a young, dark haired girl in a maid’s outfit; she curtsys slightly. “Welcome to the Chartreuse House,” she says. “Mrs. Chartreuse—” she begins, but is cut off as a large grandmotherly woman enters the room. “—is here. Rosalyn said you had business with us?” she says, smiling.
Jul 09 22:12:39 * Seong bows respectfully, but lets Sissil do the talking.
Jul 09 22:13:17 Sissil: Sissil curtseys. “I am sorry if we have arrived at a bad time. We are… looking into the circumstances around the disapperance of something we delivered to someone in the community and…” SHe sighs. “I have to admit, I have no idea how to politely bring up the possibly dead even now, and I have no idea what has gone on within these walls at all. Please forgive if our arrival disturbs an already upsetting day.”
Jul 09 22:15:52 Dry|GM: The grandmotherly woman stiffens a bit, takes a deep breath. “Rosalyn, you didn’t say it was that sort of business,” she says, then sighs. “Nevermind. Be a dear Rosalyn, and fetch me another glass of bourbon.”
Jul 09 22:16:17 Corwyn: “Rosalyn?” Corwyn offers a glance and a smile over towards the young woman. “Lovely name.” With that bit of flattery, she turns back to the matter at hand. “Consider us private investigators of a sort,” she adds. The way the words roll of her tongue give the impression of relucatnce, as does the way her shoulders droop a bit. “We were hoping to speak on the matter, hopefully in a more
Jul 09 22:16:17 Corwyn: polite way than the guards.”
Jul 09 22:18:35 Dry|GM: The younger woman blinks at Corwyn’s comment… then blushes slightly, drops another curtsey and departs. The grandmotherly woman appears not to notice; she’s busy making a visible effort to muster a more pleasant demeanor. “Private investigators… well, you can’t be worse than that,” she says, glowering at the door; if looks could kill, that poor door would be on fire and in splinters.
Jul 09 22:20:03 Zekki: Being super, extra patient, Zekki is just walking around the room. Her hands held politely behind her back with the “see, not touching” posture, and unless otherwise prevented, the vibrantly coloured gnome is probably going to meander through the rest of the house. “Mind if I have a snoop around? promise I won’t break anything. Or set off anything explosive.” Probably. But the odds of her not accidentally triggering a bomb is the
Jul 09 22:20:03 Zekki: best out of the rest of the group, right?
Jul 09 22:20:57 Dry|GM: “That idiot and his two flunkies. I could smell the liquor on him! And here he is, asking his questions and making those… those… sad expressions of his. As if I could harbor a… a murderess… under my own roof and not even notice! Why—” the woman’s tirade is forestalled by the timely return of Rosalyn, bearing a… rather tall glass of bourbon. “Thank you, Rosalyn.”
Jul 09 22:21:56 Dry|GM: Rosalyn drops another curtsey, then fades back into the corner of the room.
Jul 09 22:25:46 Dry|GM: “Where are my manners? My name is Delilah Chartreuse; I am the proprietress.” She glance at Zekki, frowning. “I’d rather you not snoop about alone; this is a home, you know. Rosalyn, be a dear and show…” she pauses, frowning, “…our guest around the premises, would you?”
Jul 09 22:27:48 Zekki: “Zekki. And I’d love the company, just thought you might want to keep her close at hand.” Zekki replies with a grin, “I don’t want to impose on your good nature.”
Jul 09 22:27:49 Sissil: Sissil sighs. “Actually, I… am of the opinion there is a chance that the man isn’t dead, ma’am. But that leads to some other problems… thus why we wanted to know more about the young lady and your relationship with her.”
Jul 09 22:30:29 Bira: Bira settles into a dwarven not-moving-anytime-soon stance and breaks out her tome, ready to take notes should any pertinent information come up.
Jul 09 22:36:12 Dry|GM: She nods. “Chartreuse House is a provider of housekeeping services. Timely, efficient, discreet, and well-trained. Lucille is—” she pauses abruptly, takes a drink of her bourbon, “—WAS one of my wards. Rosalyn is another, and there are several more.”
Jul 09 22:37:09 Corwyn: “The company would be welcome indeed,” Corwyn asks, another glance over to Rosalyn, and then back to Delilah. “I don’t think we intend to… snoop? Though of course if you’d rather accompany us, it’s perfectly understandable,” if slightly annoying goes unsaid. Corwyn fakes a smile, nodding as she listens to Delilah while she waits for the tour to begin
Jul 09 22:37:51 Sissil: Sissil leaves Corwyn and Zekki to handle the physical looking around as she focuses on the asking peoples questions bit. Division of labor!
Jul 09 22:38:40 Dry|GM: Rosalyn moves over towards an archway leading deeper into the house; if Zekki and Corwyn move to follow, she’ll lead them on a brief tour of the building’s ground floor.
Jul 09 22:39:57 * Zekki is quite happy to follow. And chatter. “Whether we intend to or not, snooping is what we’re doing so may’s well be honest about it.”
Jul 09 22:44:28 Sissil: “You… said was a ward?” Sissil keeps her voice quiet, calm, relaxed
Jul 09 22:45:09 Corwyn: Corwyn follows not far behind, catching up alongside Zekki and Rosalyn quickly. “I suppose. I don’t really plan to go through things,” right now, “but a tour may give us some insight.” She looks over to Rosalyn. “So. How long have you been here, with Ms. Chartruse, if you don’
Jul 09 22:45:17 Corwyn: t mind me asking.”
Jul 09 22:46:55 Dry|GM: “Seven years now,” Rosalyn says quietly. “In another year or two I’ll be ready to move on.” She leads Corwyn and Zekki on a tour of the house’s ground floor.
Jul 09 22:50:03 Dry|GM: The old woman nods to Sissil. “A ward, yes. Those who are… less fortunate… are offered an opportunity to enroll here, as openings permit. From there, I train them in the arts of housekeeping.”
Jul 09 22:50:18 Dry|GM: “Once they have reached a sufficient level of skill, they are able to put those skills to work, refining them further… once they have mastered them, I am usually able to find a place for them in a nobleman’s household. Some of our graduates work in the castle of the King himself.” The old woman swells with visible pride at this pronouncement.
Jul 09 22:51:37 Sissil: “Quite the accomplishment to be able to claim.” Sissil lets a little praise into her voice “That would make her a… recent graduate then?” Sissil smiles.
Jul 09 22:52:40 Zekki: “What’s it like here? How many girls stay here, I mean, it’s a huge house. Massive place. Must get a bit wearying, to spend all your time constantly in the same company? Bet you know a way to slip out to meet your beau, right? Get a little bit of time for yourself late at night when everyone’s sleeping?” Zekki asks Rosalyn cheerfully, meandering along with little rapid tuptuptups of her much smaller stride.
Jul 09 22:53:23 Dry|GM: The old woman seems to deflate. “No. And now she never…” She cuts off.
Jul 09 22:54:34 Sissil: “… I… am sorry.” Sissil winces, and bows her head.
Jul 09 22:54:45 * Seong “Do you have anything other than your intuition telling you that she’s not to blame?” Seong doesn’t sound happy to ask it.
Jul 09 22:54:59 Dry|GM: Rosalyn shakes her head. “There’s only one way out from our quarters, short of climbing out windows…” she says.
Jul 09 22:55:20 Corwyn: “Huh, that’s quite a while.” Corwyn actually seems a little impressed, offering a laugh to Zekki. “Now now. I’m sure some of the girls rather enjoy the same company. I imagine most of you are friends? I’d hope at least.” COrwyn offers a bit of a nod. “Definitely a huge place hgere. Probably for the best that we didn’t wander on our own. I’d easily ghet lost.” She pauses, looking to Zekki,
Jul 09 22:55:20 Corwyn: and then to Rosalyn. “I imagine a place this big, that’s pretty dangerous.”
Jul 09 22:56:58 Sissil: Sissil gives a slight head-shake towards Seong. “I… think we need to hear the story of what happened here before we ask questions like that.” She offers softly.
Jul 09 22:57:30 Sissil: “Because, unless I misunderstood, there was… an unfortunate happening in the household.”
Jul 09 22:57:40 * Seong “I suppose. Forgive me for jumping around. Normally, I’m only doing it physically.” She nods to Sissil.
Jul 09 23:00:15 Dry|GM: Rosalyn nods. “Yes. There are the occasional arguments, but… we’re all in this together,” she says, shaking her head. There’s a faint tremor in her voice. “I can’t believe—” She cuts herself off, shaking her head and heading for the next room.
Jul 09 23:02:23 Dry|GM: The old woman isn’t faring much better; she’s nursing her bourbon, but it’s clear she’s pretty distraught. “She didn’t do it. I raised that girl in my house for eight years. There is no way she’d murder that old man.” She scowls. “That ‘detective’. Faugh! Looked like he hadn’t been sober since last year!”
Jul 09 23:05:49 Bira: Bira raises an eyebrow, but makes no comment.
Jul 09 23:06:40 Sissil: “I know it’s… a difficult subject, ma’am, but… could you tell me what happened int he house… I’m guessing since last night?”
Jul 09 23:09:13 Zekki: A glance is given towards Corwyn, before Zekki trots after Rosalyn, reaching out with one hand to gently touch the back of one of the girls hands. “Can’t believe what?” She asks gently, well, as gently as she can manage. “What’s it like, to get in? I mean, so many years of learning, and then you’ll get a placement in a nobles house! That’s pretty exciting, yeah? You looking forward to it?” Safe topics. See? Totally not a morbid
Jul 09 23:09:14 Zekki: opener.
Jul 09 23:10:10 Dry|GM: “I haven’t seen her since yesterday. Lucille was never the sort to gallavant about all night—none of my girls are! But yesterday she just… didn’t come home. And then…” she lets out a shuddering sigh. “Rosalyn said she heard her come in last night. Those watchmen said they found things in her room, that she’d been plotting to murder him…”
Jul 09 23:11:33 Corwyn: Corwyn frowns a bit, looking back at Zekki. “We can end the tour if you’d rather. Sorry to dredge up old memories.” She pauses a bit. “If you want to talk about it at all, outside of all of…” she waves a hand back and forth, and then out at the room their in, “this, I’m sure you can seek one of us out. I imagine it’s hard talking to the others.” She pauses, looking like she’s racking
Jul 09 23:11:33 Corwyn: her brain for a term, and then perks up. “Off the record. You know, just to talk.” With that out, she clears her throat. “I suppose part of the reason we’re doing this is because something seems off about this whole thing. Someone else is at the root of it. Between us.”
Jul 09 23:12:40 * Seong is quietly listening so far. It seems like she’s partially lost in thought.
Jul 09 23:14:01 Bira: Bira makes a few notes as Delilah speaks, quick dwarven runes as shorthand.
Jul 09 23:14:24 Dry|GM: Rosalyn hesitates, then nods. “I… yes, I’m looking forward to it…” she trails off, shakes her head. “I’m sorry, I’m… not at my best at the moment. But…” She hesitates. “Do you want to see her room? That’s where the Watch was searching earlier.”
Jul 09 23:15:58 Corwyn: “That would actually be much appreciated,” and this was why Corwyn was a terrible detective – she’d never even thought to ask if that was possible, just assumed otherwise. “It’s understandable. You’re doing well, considering the stress.”
Jul 09 23:17:16 Sissil: “… I see.” Sissil sighs. “Was she here when they showed up?”
Jul 09 23:18:09 Zekki: “If we could look at whatever the Watch didn’t make off with, that would be grand.” Zekki replies with a smile “It’s okay, honest. I wouldn’t expect you to be at your best.” She reassures “Whatever you’re good with is wonderful.” It could be Rosalyns distraction, or due to the situation, but she doesn’t seem to be terribly keen for the graduating part of this thing.
Jul 09 23:21:14 Dry|GM: Rosalyn nods and leads the way up the stairs; the stairs squeak. Loudly. “Those stairs… they always squeak. They always have. I heard them, last night,” Rosalyn says. The room she leads the way to is right beside the stairway entrance.
Jul 09 23:22:40 Dry|GM: Downstairs, the squeak can be heard; the old woman’s head turns sharply towards the back of the house. “Rosalyn’s taking them upstairs. And yes—Lucille… turned up late last night. Or early this morning, I suppose.” The old woman again seeks solace at the bottom of her glass of bourbon.
Jul 09 23:24:51 Sissil: Sissil nods quietly at the squeak, closing her eyes a moment in thought.
Jul 09 23:26:42 Dry|GM: Rosalyn hesitates for a moment… then she opens the door. As she does, she turns her head away, closing her eyes, as if she can’t bear to look.
Jul 09 23:29:59 Corwyn: Corwyn nods, quiet as she moves behind ROsalyn and Zekki. As they reach the doorway to the room, she pauses, standing at the door beside ROsalyn as she lets Zekki move into the room. She looks over sideloing to the younger woman, then half turns to her. “Something’s bothering you, I can tell,” she remarks in a low voice, trying to keep Zekki from hearing. She says it in a gentle tone,
Jul 09 23:29:59 Corwyn: one very unlike her thus far. “I won’t ask. We all have our secrets.” She takes off her hat, brushing it for a moment before she settles it back on her head.
Jul 09 23:29:59 Corwyn: “Practice not showing it around the guard. They might take it the wrong way, with how inept they seem to be.” It almost seems like… actual advice? She offers a small smile afterwards. “The earlier offer still stands.” She pauses for a moment to wait for a response, and if one doesn’t come she proceeds on into the room.
Jul 09 23:30:58 Dry|GM: “I shouldn’t have talked to them,” Rosalyn says quietly, her voice leaden.
Jul 09 23:32:53 * Seong “…Did you know her to keep a diary?” She asks a little suddenly.
Jul 09 23:34:32 Corwyn: “To the guards?” Corwyn offers, ceasing her forward movement to move back to Rosalyn, still speaking low while Zekki looks about the room. "I’m sorry, I said I wouldn’t pry. But no, probably not. They seem quick to jump to conclusions. No one ever actually looks into anything that happens. They find the first conveniant “truth” they can and run with it." She coughs. “Apologies. That was
Jul 09 23:34:32 Corwyn: rude of me.”
Jul 09 23:35:20 Zekki: “Did you hear them squeak the once?” Zekki asks lightly, giving the girl another gentle touch to the hand, before she slips into the room first, to investigate - or well, she’s pulling a pair of gloves out of her pack and starting to straighten up the room, which is likely in super disarray after the esteemed guards went through. She frowns at the bed, hesitating in the straightening, briefly, before carefully folding the sheets.
Jul 09 23:35:21 Zekki: There’s a frown, and she reaches out to touch the wall, examining what is on her fingers. “Hmmm.”
Jul 09 23:35:22 Dry|GM: “To the Watch. They think she’s a murderer,” Rosalyn says, still in that leaden tone of voice.
Jul 09 23:36:41 Dry|GM: “I… heard them squeak. I got out of bed; sometimes one of us will… sneak out, on occasion. Usually they’ll bring back sweets or something for the rest of us, ha ha,” she says; her laugh sounds like it wants to be a sob.
Jul 09 23:38:52 Dry|GM: Downstairs, the old woman nods. “Most of them do. It helps some of them, starting out, and some of them keep the habit even after they’ve settled in to life here.”
Jul 09 23:41:58 Dry|GM: Upstairs, Rosalyn continues to speak. “My room’s down the hall. I waited a few minutes, then I peeked out, and I saw her, leaving her room. She was wearing her good dress, and had a bag, like she was going somewhere. But something about her…”
Jul 09 23:42:22 Zekki: "Did you hear them squeak -twice
? Did you hear when she say, left, and then came back? Or was it just the once?" Zekki asks, emphasising, as she picks up a ribbon off of the bed and tucks it into an empty glass vial. She resumes the straightening of the room, putting drawers back in place, starting to put the still mostly folded clothes back in.
Jul 09 23:43:11 Dry|GM: Rosalyn looks pale. “She was smiling. It was… it was horrible.”
Jul 09 23:43:35 * Seong “Bah, there goes that. Anyway, can you tell me exactly why you don’t think it was her? Anything.”
Jul 09 23:44:45 Corwyn: Corwyn frowns a bit, looking back at Zekki with a nod. “Anything look out of sorts?” With that Corwyn turns back to her. “Well…” there’s nothing to say she isn’t is what Corwyn wants to say. Wrong place, wrong time. Her lips quirk side to side, and then her posture straightens a bit. “I have my doubts,” she admits. The whole situation stinks, after all. “That’s why we’re looking into
Jul 09 23:44:45 Corwyn: this. So, if she isn’t involved in this, I’m going to find out.” She offers a smile. “The truth is elusive. Like I said, few actually look for it. They look for what’s conveniant. So we’ll figure it out if we can. She wouldn’t be the first person I’ve seen wronged by ineptitude.” As Rosalyn continues, Corwyn quirks an eyebrow, now looking concerned. “You shouldn’t straighten the room,”
Jul 09 23:44:47 Corwyn: Corwyn notes to Zekki. “You’ll get us in trouble.” With a moment of hesitation, she looks back to Rosalyn. “Smiling? I’m guessing not a normal smile.”
Jul 09 23:44:56 Corwyn: As Rosalyn continues, Corwyn quirks an eyebrow, now looking concerned. “You shouldn’t straighten the room,” Corwyn notes to Zekki. “You’ll get us in trouble.” With a moment of hesitation, she looks back to Rosalyn. “Smiling? I’m guessing not a normal smile.”
Jul 09 23:47:17 Dry|GM: The old woman harrumphs. “I’ve raised her since she was ten years old. She was a sweet girl. She was so happy to find out that she had a relative left in this world at all! I can’t believe she would’ve just… murdered him! She always wanted to learn magic, too, to go to the Arcanum; she said the old man was going to recommend her for entrance! Why would she murder him? It makes no sense…” the old woman trails off, looking helpless.
Jul 09 23:48:13 Sissil: Sissil frowns a moment, and closes her eyes. “… Had she been acting oddly the last few days?”
Jul 09 23:48:28 Dry|GM: Upstairs, Rosalyn shakes her head. “No. It… it wasn’t normal.” She shakes her head again, fervently.
Jul 09 23:48:47 Dry|GM: The old woman shakes her head. “Not particularly, no.”
Jul 09 23:49:44 * Seong glances at Sissil. Seems she has an idea, but doesn’t want to say it just yet.
Jul 09 23:50:50 Corwyn: Corwyn frowns, tentatively reaching to place a hand on the young woman’s shoulder. “I’m sorry,” she remarks a bit quietly, pausing before continuing. “Did you tell the watch that?”
Jul 09 23:51:37 Sissil: “So nothing odd until, late last night.” Sissil pauses. Then frowns.
Jul 09 23:53:21 Bira: Bira continues making notes. Mystery. Mind. Mind. Clothing. Illusion.
Jul 09 23:53:35 Sissil: “… why did she go out yesterday, anyway?”
Jul 09 23:54:05 Sissil: “And did she say where she was going?”
Jul 09 23:54:33 Zekki: “Why?” That’s in regards to straightening up the room. “I wouldn’t want a friend of mine to come back and find her place is all messed up.” She adds, making with more of the straightening, putting books back on shelves, locating the washbasket, and acquiring an undershirt. She quietly tucks that away, and out of sight. Hopefully Rosalyn at least doesn’t see. It’d be great if Corwyn didn’t as well.
Jul 09 23:56:38 Dry|GM: The girl nods silently; seems like she’s shaking slightly. “I told them, yes,” she manages after a minute. At Zekki’s comment about her coming back, she shudders, seeming to fight back a sob. “I… I hope she comes back. The ‘her’ that I used to know, I mean, not… not the one I saw last night.” She sniffles, raising a hand and brushing at her eyes. After a moment, she looks up to Corwyn, meeting her gaze.
Jul 09 23:57:31 Dry|GM: “D-do you really think… that you can figure it out?” Rosalyn asks; there’s an almost desperate hope in her eyes, behind the tears she’s trying not to let fall.
Jul 10 00:02:38 * Seong has quit (Connection reset by peer)
Jul 10 00:04:45 * Mousetrap (~Mousetrap@PSI-BB55E58.pitbpa.fios.verizon.net) has joined
Jul 10 00:04:57 * Mousetrap is now known as Seong
Jul 10 00:07:53 Corwyn: “I don’t know that the watch is done with it, that’s why,” Corwyn remarks to Zekki – if she did see the pilfering, she’s not letting on. The room looks pretty thuroughly serched, but who knows. There’s a moment of hesitation, a moment of what have I gotten myself into, but rather than turn away with it, COrwyn closes her eyes for a moment and then turns back to Rosalyn. “I don’t like
Jul 10 00:07:54 Corwyn: to make promises I don’t know I can keep,” she says, and at least that’s the truth. She lets out a long sigh, and then nods. “But we’re certainly going to try. I certainly don’t like the sound of any of this. I won’t let someone get wronged like this again,” she says a bit quietly.
Jul 10 00:08:38 Corwyn: Her hand moves to Rosalyn’s shoulder, then to rufflle the younger woman’s hair – and hopefully bring a moment of levity. It’s a bit of a weird moment, a bit of subvconcious action that brings back some odd memories for Corwyn, but she rolls with it “The fact you told them this just makes me think them that much more incompetant. I’m sure they take that as a sign of guilt. It strikes me
Jul 10 00:08:38 Corwyn: as something highly unusual and worth looking into.” She pauses for a moment, and then nods. “Anything… that might bring comfort, I’ll let you know. It has to stay between us, though.”
Jul 10 00:12:27 Zekki: “We’ll try our best to get to the bottom of it.” Zekki replies, attempting to have a tone of voice that is something other than …well… cheerful. Because this is a puzzle, involving people and yes it is sad that some of those people are dead, but it is a puzzle and puzzles are fun and interesting things! It’s something to Do, and not just sit around while waiting for Someone Else to do things. “Something’s not right about the
Jul 10 00:12:27 Zekki: whole shebang, and that doesn’t sit comfortably with me. Sort of like a stone in your shoe. Sure you can walk along with it, but eventually you’re gonna have to sit down, take off your boot and get the blasted thing out.”
Jul 10 00:14:03 Dry|GM: Rosalyn manages a shaky smile as Corwyn speaks… then, as she ruffles her hair, she makes a noise that’s half-laugh, half-sob. “O… of course,” she nods, managing to smile again… then she takes a deep breath. She hesitates, then nods and smiles at Zekki as well. “I… suppose that’s so.” She nods, taking another deep breath to compose herself. “Alright then. Shall we head back downstairs?”
Jul 10 00:15:36 Dry|GM: Downstairs, the old woman looks to Sissil. “Out for work, as usual. She was due to clean Master Sterton’s shop that day.”
Jul 10 00:17:48 Corwyn: “We can find our way at this point, if you need a moment,” Corwyn remarks, stepping back out of the room. “Or we can wait for you, if you’d prefer.” She seems to be in no hurry to head back downstairs – it would seem she’s gotten what she wanted out of trhe conversation. Probably more.
Jul 10 00:19:58 * Seong “We need to talk to her.” She turns to Miss Chartruese. “I believe you, but belief is not a commodity that can be shared or shown. I appreciate your patience with my nosy questions.”
Jul 10 00:21:19 Sissil: Sissil frowns, bowing her head in thought as she puts a hand to the bridge of her nose. “… hold just a minute? What time did she leave to do this cleaning, do you remember?”
Jul 10 00:21:33 * Dzeintra (~Dzeintra@PSI-6B301080.dyn.iinet.net.au) has joined
Jul 10 00:22:18 * Zekki has quit (Ping timeout: 183 seconds)
Jul 10 00:23:20 Sissil: “… His personal rooms were neat and orderly, his SHOP was a disaster.”
Jul 10 00:24:34 Bira: Bira raises another eyebrow.
Jul 10 00:25:10 Sissil: “… Something about that…” Sissil frowns. “Something is wrong about that, But I’m not sure what it means.” Sissil admits.
Jul 10 00:26:00 * Dzeintra has quit (Quit: Leaving)
Jul 10 00:26:27 Dry|GM: The old woman nods to Seong. At Sissil’s comments, she frowns. “Lucille left around… 1 or 2 pm?”
Jul 10 00:27:28 Sissil: “… Thank you, ma’am. I … Hope we can find proof that you are right.” Sissil bows.
Jul 10 00:27:38 * Seong glances sidelong at the old woman, then shifts to where Bira is, and taps the book a bit, wordlessly asking for her quill.
Jul 10 00:28:09 Bira: Bira looks askance, but wordlessly passes it over.
Jul 10 00:29:09 Dry|GM: “She cleans his personal rooms and the shop alike, and then she often stays after to talk with him about… magical theory and such. It’s her favorite day of the week…” the old woman sighs. “I wasn’t expecting her back until nightfall, but she’s almost never out later than that!”
Jul 10 00:29:29 * Dry|GM has quit (Connection reset by peer)
Jul 10 00:29:59 * Dry (~Dry@6EBE2C65.D80422B0.25D2BC23.IP) has joined
Jul 10 00:29:59 * ChanServ sets modes [#hammerofnight +qo Dry Dry]
Jul 10 00:31:51 Dry: “She cleans his personal rooms and the shop alike, and then she often stays after to talk with him about… magical theory and such. It’s her favorite day of the week…” the old woman sighs. “I wasn’t expecting her back until nightfall, but she’s almost never out later than that!”
Jul 10 00:32:15 * Seong looks for any notes pointing at the old man faking his death. If there is none, she’ll add it. Underneath, she writes ‘Lucille. accomplice?’ in her best handwriting. It’s not very good.
Jul 10 00:33:29 Sissil: “… Indeed.” Sissil frowns. “Anything more you two can think of to ask? I think I need to chew over what we’ve learned…” Sissil sounds… subdued.
Jul 10 00:34:51 Dry: Upstairs, Rosalyn nods, hesitates a moment longer… then drops a curtsey. “Thank you,” she says, quietly, and departs. The squeak of the stairs is the loudest part of her exit.
Jul 10 00:36:26 * Seong slowly realizes she can’t read ANYTHING in Bira’s book, so she just writes her own thoughts small and in the margins.
Jul 10 00:38:01 Bira: Bira looks a bit sheepish, nods, and when she gets the quill back, makes a few marks around a few runes.
Jul 10 00:39:35 Corwyn: Corwyn waits for a moment, and then motions for Zekki to finish her prodding of the room and follow her back to the main room, where everyone else waits. Ignoring the squeek as she makes her exit as well, she leads Zekki behind her, navigating as well as she can until they find themselves rejoining the others, to whom she offers a wave. “Rosalyn is taking a moment to herself before she
Jul 10 00:39:35 Corwyn: returns to us,” she offers to older woman, offering a preemptive explaination of her absence.
Jul 10 00:44:08 Dry: The old woman nods slowly. “I can understand that,” she sighs. “I think… we’re going to be closed tomorrow. Once the girls find out about all of this, I think we’ll all need a few moments to ourselves,” she says tiredly.
Jul 10 00:44:27 Dry:
Jul 10 00:44:28 Dry:
Jul 10 00:44:42 Dry: Next time on Hammer of Night: The Shadow Walks Amongst Us.
Jul 10 00:45:01 Dry: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA jk lol
Jul 10 00:45:10 Dry: (hahahaha)

Session 5

When Falls the Hammer of Night RIZero