Session 1

Apr 30 19:20:28 Dry|DM: It’s been a long journey. For some, nearly two months; for others, only three weeks.
Apr 30 19:21:50 Dry|DM: Up from sunny Albast, through the shadowed forest of the Schwarzwald, up to the fortress city of Thera in cold, mountainous Kharzstad; there, new faces had joined for the journey southward, back to Albast.
Apr 30 19:24:25 Dry|DM: But now, the caravan is entering the home stretch. The drivers and guards arrived at the village of Idura Creek, the penultimate stop on their journey, early on this spring morning; the people have eaten, the horses have been fed and watered; all that’s left now is the last of the journey.
Apr 30 19:25:48 Dry|DM: A shrill whistle splits the air—two short and one long, the last call for departure. “Last call, be here in sixty seconds or get left behind!” calls the wagonmaster, a ruddy-faced dwarf with a face like a hatchet. “If ya aren’t with us when we hit Sylmore, I’m tellin the company that spiders ate ya and they can keep yer pay!”
Apr 30 19:26:41 Dry|DM: Suiting actions to words, the foreman clambers up onto the lead wagon, peering across the village; behind him, others are taking their places on the other three.
Apr 30 19:26:45 Dry|DM: [Free to Act]
Apr 30 19:29:30 Sissil: Sissil stretches, and frowns. “One more stretch…” She mutters to herself as she gets herself to the wagons.
Apr 30 19:30:12 Zekki: Finishing up the final touches to Ambrutus morning brush, ensuring that he has finished his breakfast and the saddle is well secured without pulling on the fur, Zekki climbs up onto the mountain of a dog a few moments after the foreman. Ambrutus’s loosely curled tail is wagging enthusiastically as he watches others do their bustle and mad scramble to get onto horses, even though it would take a bit longer than a minute to get left
Apr 30 19:30:12 Zekki: behind. Every day is an adventure for the dog. Zekki is … preparing to doze on her very intelligent mounts back.
Apr 30 19:30:44 Bira: Near the well at the center of the village, Bira takes a few last notes in the massive book she carries, thanks the old lady she was talking with, and trundles back towards the wagons.
Apr 30 19:31:23 Corwyn: One woman sits, relaxed with legs stretched across the middle of her wagon so that her heels rest on the seat across from her. A wide brimmed hat pulled down and eyes closed, she groans at the sound of the shrill whistle – she mad esure to get her seat early, and was just finally starting to drift off into a short rest. She grumbles, but otherwise doesn’t stir beyond brushing long black
Apr 30 19:31:23 Corwyn: hair out of her face.
Apr 30 19:32:09 Dry|DM: One, two, three men emerge from the town’s combination inn and tavern, ‘The Traveller’s Rest’, heading for the third wagon; one of them finishes off a sandwich as he jogs.
Apr 30 19:33:53 Sissil: Sissil tucks away her own journal, before the halfling in a hooded cloak finds her place, and makes sure her hood is still pulled well over her face. Her outfit consists of a long sleeved tunic, overwhich she’s wearing blackened mithril lamellar armor. Along with gloves, a leather overskirt and leggings, and boots. Other than her face, she doesn’t have a square inch of skin exposed to the sun, and even that is mostly hidden in
Apr 30 19:33:53 Sissil: shadow. ON her shoulders is the mark of Kharzstad’s Iron Guard, with an honorable service discharge chevron below it.
Apr 30 19:37:01 * Seong had made somewhat of a scene when she climbed on top of one of the wagons, but now the yellow-skinned woman was sitting along its edge, lazily watching people scramble.
Apr 30 19:37:32 Dry|DM: The foreman waits and watches, counting until he gets to sixty, then he waits for a few seconds longer, scowling as the last of the caravan’s guards reaches their designated wagon… then he blows the whistle again. Three short this time—the signal for the wagons to begin moving.
Apr 30 19:39:43 Dry|DM: The wagons begin to roll—down the cobblestones of the road, over the bridge crossing the creek that gives this village its name.
Apr 30 19:40:55 Corwyn: Corwyn lits up the brim of her hat just enough so that she can look around her wagon cabin – no one’s made her put her feet down yet, which she appreciates. But that either means someone is standing or absent, and while she’s not entirely sure she cares she’s not in the business of drawing attention to herself.
Apr 30 19:42:48 Sissil: Sissil frowns in her own seat, looking out the window even as she keeps her hood drawn forward, likely not responding to the usual query that ’aren’t you uncomfterable in all that’ she tends to get.
Apr 30 19:43:59 Zekki: “Barooooo-WUFF!” Because whistles hurt dogs ears and Ambrutus likes to punctuate the move out with a deeper soronousness that is a bark echoing from a barrel of a chest. …And let everyone know where he is. Zekki pats his head lightly, petpetpet. Gentle nudge with the heels and enthusiastic puppy prancing bound bound before settlign into a trot. Zekki is almost dislodged. Which results in gnome woman armflail and “I’m awake!”
Apr 30 19:44:38 Dry|DM: The foreman glances back, mouth tightening in annoyance…
Apr 30 19:45:00 Bira: In the third wagon, Bira inspects the cargo as she’s done every time they’ve gotten moving, in spite of the actual caravan crew assuring her they checked it and regardless of how poor an idea it is to be moving in a moving wagon.
Apr 30 19:45:53 Dry|DM: …which is why he sees exactly what happens when the third wagon in the caravan comes off the bridge.
Apr 30 19:47:55 Dry|DM: The wagon lurches slightly as it hits the boundary between bridge and road, shuddering at the slight drop… then there’s a creaking, groaning noise from under the wagon…
Apr 30 19:48:46 * Seong sits up. “Ah, great.”
Apr 30 19:49:17 Dry|DM: …and then the axle gives way altogether, the back half of the wagon hitting the ground. Barrels and crates lurch, one or two—poorly lashed down—start to slide.
Apr 30 19:52:16 Bira: At the first creaking, Bira freezes. A poor decision.
Apr 30 19:55:38 Corwyn: Always when she was getting comfortable. The wagon lurches, and immediately Corwyn;s feet move from their perch tot he ground, planting hard as she stands and centres herself. She might have been better off remaining sitting, but instinct takes over – probably for the best. It’s awkward, but it’ll do, brim of her had be set ajar as she tries to remain steady. “What in the blue hell?!”
Apr 30 19:55:38 Corwyn: she shouts out.
Apr 30 19:57:25 Sissil: Sissil is already hopping off the lead wagon before the axel even finishes breaking, making a dash back towards the disabled wagon, a frown on her face.
Apr 30 19:58:29 Dry|DM: The back half of the wagon crashes to the ground; the foreman already has his whistle in his mouth and blows three longs to signal a full stop.
Apr 30 20:01:00 Zekki: Cracking? Creaking? “Ambrutus!” And a gnomish word that translates to ‘forward and catch’ to the riding dog, who is more than happy for a chance to stretch his legs, race past the last wagon — that tree was super interesting - to try and snag a (small) barrel of alcohol. And all that pent up early energy and enthusiasm results in a prancing, proud puppydog with a barrel hanging from his mouth.
Apr 30 20:01:43 Sissil: Sissil isn’t trying to catch people or things. She knows better. Instead she manuvers to examine the wagon and see just how bad a mess they really are in.
Apr 30 20:01:59 Dry|DM: He stops the horses pulling his wagon, then hops off with as much agility as he can manage
-it’s not a lot—and heads for the fallen wagon. The villagers, who had been paying no attention to the departing caravan, are now watching intently—caravans coming and going aren’t anything huge, but THIS is a spectacle.
Apr 30 20:02:18 * Seong hops gracefully off the second wagon, now expecting an attack. She paces back around to make sure the people are okay. she saw SOMETHING go flying…it could’ve been a dwarf.
Apr 30 20:05:52 Sissil: Sissil pauses a few moments. And the rough translation of what she shouts in halfling “Frozen hellbear-born foul-fish weak tree-bones!” likely is excluding a few explicitives.
Apr 30 20:06:25 * Seong “…What?”
Apr 30 20:06:29 Sissil: It is obvious that whatever she sees looking at that axel is not good.
Apr 30 20:06:51 Bira: The expletive Bira uses is much more compact, needing to fit in between time of breakage and time of impacting the road. “Shale!”
Apr 30 20:07:32 Sissil: “Anyone bring a spare axel? This one is kindling.” She finally shouts in common. The halfling frowns. “SO much to a smooth start to the morning.”
Apr 30 20:08:32 Dry|DM: The driver of the third wagon, a younger dwarf who’s been with the caravan since Kharzstad, managed to keep the horses under control, though they didn’t like that one bit; he doesn’t look like he’s too far from panic, either. He stares at all of this in shock and disbelief.
Apr 30 20:09:32 Dry|DM: The foreman adds his own bits of invective to the mix as well, as he sizes up the mess. “Spidershit,” he spits at last, raising one hand to his forehead.
Apr 30 20:09:55 * Zekki laughs. Well, actually giggles madly as she watches Bira tumble and impact with all the solidity Dwarves are known for, and then there’s the half-ling throwing a tanty. “Good boy Ambrutus.” He was so useful! Good dog! “Who was in charge of making sure the wheels didn’t fall off? I think they need their pay docked.” More petting for the dog-head, and “Down. Gently.” The fire-whiskey is set down, and Ambrutus is investigating
Apr 30 20:09:55 * Zekki the New Thing, which is a broken Old Thing.
Apr 30 20:12:10 Sissil: “Struck the bridge just wrong, it looks like. accident, not on purpose.” Sissil notes as she manuvers around the mess. “Someone go check on the poor soul who went flying?”
Apr 30 20:13:05 Dry|DM: The wagon driver blinks, then nods. “Right,” he says, clambering down from the seat and heading over to check on Bira.
Apr 30 20:13:49 * Seong wanders around the wagon to where Bira is, just a bit faster than the driver. “Hey, you okay?”
Apr 30 20:14:25 Dry|DM: “There’s a wainwright in this town, so we’re not totally out of luck… but…” the foreman looks even more hatchet-faced and dour than usual. “It’s gonna take too long. Especially for this one. We’re already running tight on time.”
Apr 30 20:14:59 Bira: Bira is still catching her breath in the position she sprawled in, but nods. “A few scrapes. Just…” She grimaces as she struggles upright and picks gravel from her palms.
Apr 30 20:16:11 Corwyn: Still mumbling to herself, Corwyn pulls herself out of the collapsed cart, looking to the broken back half, and then around to all the others gathered around. Hands on hips, she looks livid. “Gods. Are you serious? On the bridge of all places!” She pulls a bag out from where she’d been sitting and slings it over her shoulder. “This is bullshit.”
Apr 30 20:16:41 Sissil: “… there enough room to split the load up to the other wagons? Assuming we can get the fourth wagon past this…”
Apr 30 20:16:43 * Zekki tugs on Ambrutus, guiding the dog away from being all up in Sissils business. “So …. abandon the wagon, pack in the alcohol, continue on? Promise I’ll give it back.”
Apr 30 20:17:11 * Seong extends Bira a hand, and brushes her shoulders off a bit.
Apr 30 20:18:33 Bira: Bira takes the proffered hand and hauls herself to her feet, brushing more dirt from her clothes and looking around for where her book got to.
Apr 30 20:18:40 Sissil: “otherwise… hate to say it, but we’re stuck.”
Apr 30 20:21:41 Zekki: “How long to go to the wainright, the cost of the repairs, and period of time for the mending?” Pause. “Shouldn’t someone go get the wainwright? Is someone goign to go? Should I go? Can I go?” Zekki, the personification of patience.
Apr 30 20:21:46 Dry|DM: “Under other circumstances, that’s what I’d do. Can’t on this one, though.” The foreman stays silent for a moment longer, then gestures to the driver. “Have the horses drag this thing off the bridge, first thing; we’ll shuffle what we can around, then see about the wainwright.”
Apr 30 20:22:17 Dry|DM: The foreman eyes Zekki with a sour look. “Go get him,” he says. Then, just before she goes. “…and nice catch,” he grudgingly admits.
Apr 30 20:24:44 Zekki: “Thanks!” Zekki replies with a grin, turning her dog back towards town, leaning forward and the ‘mush’ thing results in explosion of puppy power and bounding off at a pretty quick clip — for a dog. Or perhaps pony? Small horse? - back to town, and then hunting out the wainwright!
Apr 30 20:25:09 Corwyn: Corwyn exhales a huff a breath, hands still on her hips as she tusn around. THe flap of her bag stirs, the head of a small creature poking out to survey the surrounding area. “Great. Stuck. Alright, how to make the best of this…”
Apr 30 20:25:53 * Seong “Oh, good.” She says in response to someone ELSE being told to get the wainwright. “All I’ve got is plum wine, but here.” She hands a drinking jug decorated with flower patterns to Bira.
Apr 30 20:26:52 Sissil: Sissil meanwhile helps the driver get the horses set up to move the mess of the wagon off the bridge so the shuffling of load can be done
Apr 30 20:27:44 Bira: “Plum?” The dwarf sniff’s at the jug’s mouth, hums appreciatively, and takes a drink. “That’s rather interesting, thank you.” Then she spots her book sticking out of a bush and goes to retrieve it, handing the jug back.
Apr 30 20:28:01 Dry|DM: It doesn’t take long to find the wainwright’s shop; he’s on the square. He’s an exceptionally large man; a faint yellowish tinge to his skin indicates that he might have a bit of orcish ancestry to him. The crack of the axle was audible throughout the village, so he’s already at the door when Zekki approaches.
Apr 30 20:28:36 * Seong “Any time.” She takes a drink herself, then ties it back to her belt. “I bought it from a bird.”
Apr 30 20:30:45 Dry|DM: The driver nods thanks to Sissil as he clambers back up onto the driver’s bench; he waits until Sissil has checked everything over and stepped clear, then shakes the reins and clucks. The horses strain, dragging the wagon forward and out of the way.
Apr 30 20:31:28 Zekki: Skeeee pranceprance prance “Wuff! Wuff! Brrruff!” Ambrutus has successfully Located A Person! It is a Person! Tailwagging and prancing and “Baruff!” Hello Person! Zekki pets the dogs head to help settle him down as she gives the wainwright a grin “The caravan might be in need of your services. The dwarf went flying! And everythign fell out. Well not everything. Some things were caught. Can you come fix the wagon? Please?” Manners
Apr 30 20:31:29 Zekki: never go astray, even when one is trying to encourage a mountain of a dog to stop circling and sniffing at The Person.
Apr 30 20:32:48 Dry|DM: The wainwright peers down at the dog for a moment, then back to the gnome; after a long moment, he extends a hand carefully towards the dog for a moment, then looks back to Zekki with the same impassive expression. He nods, gesturing for her to lead the way.
Apr 30 20:33:04 Corwyn: Corwyn steps aside of the whole scene, hesitantly stepping towards the others, Sissil in particular. “You were looking at this mess, right? How long do you think it’ll take to get fixed?”
Apr 30 20:34:46 Zekki: Extended hand gets a sniff, sniff sniff sniff, and a lick, before there’s happy prancing and Ambrutus is turned back towards the wagons. Off and racing! With back and forthing, that Zekki doesn’t entirely discourage, as it is exciting things, and Ambrutus is easier to control when you don’t fight and suppress him every step of the way. …So if he wants to travel the decreasing distance six times, he can travel the decreasing
Apr 30 20:34:47 Zekki: distance six times.
Apr 30 20:35:22 Dry|DM: The wainwright follows, not running, but moving fairly quickly for someone of his size.
Apr 30 20:36:24 Sissil: "let’s just say I’m happy it happened -here
" Sissil notes. “I don’t know how long it’ll take a pro to do it. If we had to do it with a spare we were carrying? Longer then I’d like to be in the woods.”
Apr 30 20:37:05 * Seong “Don’t druids live in the woods? We could just get one to cast some kind of wood spell.”
Apr 30 20:38:25 Bira: “The problem,” Bira plucks a twig out from between the pages of her tome, “Is the other things besides druids that live in the woods. And pure chance says we’d be more likely to attract one of those.”
Apr 30 20:39:34 * Seong “Like what, bears?” She doesn’t sound impressed.
Apr 30 20:39:56 Sissil: “given this stretch of woods? We don’t know. Nobody’s survived to tell us. Not even the elves.”
Apr 30 20:40:39 Dry|DM: The wainwright arrives and immediately begins studying the wagon. He looks at the back wheels, then crouches down to look under the wagon, then at the other wheel, and finally speaks. “Looks bad.”
Apr 30 20:41:11 Bira: The dwarf flips open her tome, paging through it for a moment. “Dwarven scouting reports of the Schwarzwald. Averaging across fifty recent scouting parties, reported were five giant spiders, 4 druids, 20 packs of wolves, 3 bears, and the remainder did not return.”
Apr 30 20:42:02 Zekki: “Sounds fun!” Zekki catches the ‘no one has survived’ thing, and Ambrutus is all run out for the moment, panting lightly, tail sweeping the cobblestones as he sits to watch things. Zekki dismounts her dog, and fusses over him, petting all around the head and giving him many ‘good boys’.
Apr 30 20:43:20 * Seong “I dunno, that sounds like we’d be fine.”
Apr 30 20:46:11 * Dry|DM has quit (Ping timeout: 181 seconds)
Apr 30 21:02:43 * Dry (~Dry@29D7A4FB.F1A7CBC7.25D2BC23.IP) has joined
Apr 30 21:02:43 * ChanServ sets modes [#hammerofnight +qo Dry Dry]
Apr 30 21:04:12 * Dry has quit (Connection reset by peer)
Apr 30 21:04:39 * Dry (~Dry@EA87E66.E144B724.25D2BC23.IP) has joined
Apr 30 21:04:40 * ChanServ sets modes [#hammerofnight +qo Dry Dry]
Apr 30 21:08:04 * Dry has quit (Ping timeout: 187 seconds)
Apr 30 21:10:26 * Dry (~Dry@10B24822.1DD4CDF9.E5E78BCC.IP) has joined
Apr 30 21:10:26 * ChanServ sets modes [#hammerofnight +qo Dry Dry]
Apr 30 21:13:18 * Dry has quit (Ping timeout: 181 seconds)
Apr 30 21:14:14 * Dry (~Dry@PSI-FD3F9DB8.sub-70-215-137.myvzw.com) has joined
Apr 30 21:14:19 * ChanServ sets modes [#hammerofnight +qo Dry Dry]
Apr 30 21:15:28 * Dry is now known as noise|DM
Apr 30 21:20:34 noise|DM: The foreman grumbles in annoyance. “That we knew. How long’ll it take?”
Apr 30 21:22:09 noise|DM: The wainwright takes a moment to consider. “Eight hours. Maybe ten. Got what it’ll take, just have to get everything cut to spec.”
Apr 30 21:23:46 * Seong has a little smile on her face, waiting for the foreman to flip.
Apr 30 21:24:39 Corwyn: “Alright, fine. What’re we supposed t’ do until then?” Corwyn eyes the wainwright annoyedly. She pulls the brim of her hat back down a bit, and moves to lean against the rail of the bridge.
Apr 30 21:27:48 Zekki: Eight or ten hours? “Relocate the wagon from the bridge, redistribute the stuff, make forward progress and set up for the night. Empty wagon should be able to catch up the next day.”
Apr 30 21:29:42 noise|DM: The foreman looks like he’s eaten a rotten lemon whole, but he doesn’t break into swearing right away; he just closes his eyes and concentrates. “Alright. Alright.” Sissil beats him to the punch, though; he nods to her. “That’s about the size of it.”
Apr 30 21:30:01 noise|DM: “Not empty, though; we’ll shuffle off some of the time sensitive stuff onto the other three—that fire ale’s got to get there in two days or the company has to discount it, and that comes out of our pay—but yeah. That’s about the size of it.”
Apr 30 21:30:23 Sissil: “Then time to get to shuffling.”
Apr 30 21:30:40 * Seong takes another drink from her jug.
Apr 30 21:31:10 noise|DM: The foreman nods. He looks at Corwyn with an evil grin. “And I believe that answers your question, as well, miss, at least for the short term.”
Apr 30 21:31:55 Corwyn: Corwyn stares at the gnome for a second before sighing. She narrows eyes at the foreman, glaring for a moment before she pushes off from the railing. “I’m going to need a drink after this.”
Apr 30 21:33:53 Bira: Bira moves forward to help with the cargo shifting, primarily by stuffing one of the small casks of fire ale entirely into her backpack, making sure the foreman knows that she has it and it hasn’t just gone missing.
Apr 30 21:34:20 Zekki: Zekki looks at Corwyn innocently. “What? I haven’t done anything.” Yet.
Apr 30 21:38:58 Sissil: Sissil… helps figure out the best stacking and securing. She apparently is sane enough to not try lifting an entire cask that is likely a bit big for her.
Apr 30 21:39:31 * Seong does as little lifting and hauling as possible. She obviously hates doing it.
Apr 30 21:42:15 * Zekki doesn’t even try to help. She’s no halfling with muscles! And, if they get ambushed, they’re gonna need her Things. Ambrutus, on the other hand, is thrilled and eager to help and carefully carries, pushes or leans against barrels to help with the relocation. Whether or not he is actually helpful or just underfoot is debatable.
Apr 30 21:43:25 * Dry (~Dry@532D0BE1.D00537A.25D2BC23.IP) has joined
Apr 30 21:43:26 * ChanServ sets modes [#hammerofnight +qo Dry Dry]
Apr 30 21:43:44 * Dry is now known as Dry|DM
Apr 30 21:44:16 Corwyn: “It’s not- you. It’s…” Corwyn motions out arounf them at the gathered group, the foreman, the wagons. “It’s all of this shit.” The little head that had been poking out of her baf retreats when the small animal catches sight of Ambrutus, which causes her to look down at the back and roll her eyes. “It’s alright, Zi. Probably.”
Apr 30 21:45:40 Dry|DM: “No one’s happy about ‘all of this shit’, believe me,” the foreman says, looking sour. “But we all signed up for a job. Time to earn our pay. Again.”
Apr 30 21:45:49 * noise|DM has quit (Ping timeout: 180 seconds)
Apr 30 22:01:38 Dry|DM: So the guards set to work. Crates and barrels are shuffled, bags of mail moved; in the end, much of the load is redistributed to the other three wagons. Bira’s haversack helps in that regard, allowing a great deal of the fire ale to be loaded onto the lead wagons in a small amount of space.
Apr 30 22:02:43 Dry|DM: In the end, it takes only an hour’s time for the goods to be divided… and so the wagon and its driver are left behind in the shadowed village of Idura Creek, guarded by Bira, Corwyn, Seong, Sissil, Zekki, and the ever-faithful Ambrutus.
Apr 30 22:04:57 Dry|DM: With nowhere to go and plenty of time to get there, the party head to the center of what passes for society in Idura Creek—the Traveler’s Rest Inn and Tavern, a well-built two story building at town center.
Apr 30 22:07:37 Sissil: Sissil walks in, and, with a sigh, finally pulls back her hood once she’s away from the doors and the windows. Pale skin, red eyes, and platnium-silver hair kept in buns are revealed as she takes off her own haversack, reaching inside to pull out… well, ‘cards’. Or more accurately, cards made out of thin carved and painted slabs of wood. The halfling ingores the stares she is likely going to get from the locals as she shuffles
Apr 30 22:07:37 Sissil: the wooden plaques.
Apr 30 22:07:53 Dry|DM: A few of the tavern’s regular customers regard the party with that blend of resignation and wary annoyance that truly dedicated drinkers often give to newcomers in taverns, but say nothing, only nursing their drinks.
Apr 30 22:09:00 * Seong flops into a chair near Sissil immediately, stretching.
Apr 30 22:11:17 Zekki: Ambrutus is not an Entirely Welcome personage in the Rest Inn and Tavern, and takes a little bit of persuasion — and a somewhat meaty bone - to submit to waiting Outside. There are periodic peering in the door, or a window though. To make sure everything is good and safe. Zekki has his saddle with her though, to lighten the load and let him rest too. Once settled, she pulls out her Things, and starts organising and gently grinding
Apr 30 22:11:17 Zekki: herbs into a powder, and scooping careful portions into vials, the myriad of bubbling things that are needed to make potions occupying … a significant area of her table corner.
Apr 30 22:12:42 * Dry (~Dry@B74AEC41.B5100FCD.E5E78BCC.IP) has joined
Apr 30 22:12:42 * ChanServ sets modes [#hammerofnight +qo Dry Dry]
Apr 30 22:12:47 Sissil: Sissil begins dealing cards between everyone at her table who isn’t otherwise occupied. “Five card draw.” She states simply, figuring it’s an easy enough game to pass the time.
Apr 30 22:13:02 Dry: The innkeeper, though, is delighted to see them; he’s a fat, elderly, jolly man who looks as though he’s been sampling his own wares on occasion. If he hesitates at Sissil’s appearence, it’s only for a moment. “Welcome, welcome! You’re guards for the caravan, yes? Terrible luck, terrible luck,” he says, wringing his hands. “I don’t believe I saw you in here earlier; no matter, though. No matter.”
Apr 30 22:13:17 * Dry|DM has quit (Ping timeout: 185 seconds)
Apr 30 22:13:26 Dry: “Better here than on the road, at least. You’ll be staying the night, I assume?” His eyes stray to the ‘cards’, which he regards with a more than passing interest.
Apr 30 22:13:35 * Dry is now known as Dry|DM
Apr 30 22:13:59 Bira: Bira obtains ale and sausages, then takes her own seat with most of the table occupied with her tome. She accepts the hand Sissil deals her, but splits her attention between it and the tome, alternately studying and making notes.
Apr 30 22:14:09 * Seong “Oh, hey, hi.” she grabs her cards without really paying attention to them. “yeah, I kind of expected an attack.”
Apr 30 22:14:31 Corwyn: Corwyn sits at the table adjacent to the others – no immediate interest in the card game at hand. Instead, she sits like she did in the wagon, heels propped up on the edge of the table and brim of her hat pulled down. A half full pint sits in front of her, and unlike Ambrutus, Zi is small enough to sneak in and curl in a ball next to her owner.
Apr 30 22:15:22 Corwyn: Her finger lifts the brim of her hat up, and she casts a glance over towards Seong. “I’d take that over bein’ stuck, t’ be honest. But at least this way no one gets hurt.”
Apr 30 22:16:30 Sissil: “Assuming your prices didn’t miraclously get very high due to circumstances, that very well could suit us.” She offers to the owner. “And a mug of something to drink would go well right now.” The cards are not masterpieces by any stretch of the imagination, but they are easily recongizable pictographs of the various suits.
Apr 30 22:17:53 * Seong perks up. “Oh, yeah, do you have anything hard? Whiskey? I’ve been subsisting off plum wine.”
Apr 30 22:18:35 Zekki: "It is terrible rotten luck, wasn’t it secure earlier? How quickly to wheel axels rot that going over a bridge can break them? Maybe it was a plan. To separate us from the caravan. I mean, there are other guards with those wagons, but there’s not you know, -us
. Or the deterrent of explosions. And Ambrutus. Though he’s a sweetie." Zekki can apparently carry on a cheerful conversation with the innkeeper, or herself. “Jug of water, if
Apr 30 22:18:36 Zekki: you could? Needa boil something, and while I’ve water on me, you’ve more and I might need it tomorrow.” She’s also happy to participate in the cards, if she gets dealt in, if not, she has other things to occupy her time.
Apr 30 22:18:48 Dry|DM: The innkeeper considers Seong’s comment for a moment, apparently trying to decide on how to react. At length he shrugs. “An attack? That’s… unlikely in town. It’s in our best interests to ensure that traffic flows through unmolested; we’d be in a bad way if it wasn’t for the caravan trade,” he says; his voice is quiet and serious for a moment, but his jolly persona quickly returns.
Apr 30 22:19:30 * Seong “Oh, yeah but I’ve seen people act so brazen before.” she waves it off. “Places not as nice, I guess.”
Apr 30 22:20:42 Dry|DM: He blinks at Zekki’s comment, but can’t think of anything to say to that. “Ah… yes. Water, whiskey, unspecified something.” He heads off to the bar to grab the drinks.
Apr 30 22:21:26 Sissil: “i like surprises.” She notes as she digs a few coins out of her purse.
Apr 30 22:21:58 * Bira runs her finger along a line of musical notation and hums a few notes.
Apr 30 22:22:45 * Seong finally looks down at her cards. “How do you do this?”
Apr 30 22:23:35 * Bira also looks at her cards. “I think if you have multiples of a number or long sequences it’s good, but I don’t recall where the royalty comes in.”
Apr 30 22:24:12 Sissil: “Trying to make pairs, three of a kind, four of a kind, all the same suite, or a hand that is a straight run. You get to ante… we should get some markers if you don’t want to play for copper, and then discard and draw back up to five cards. Jack, Queen, King are 11, 12, and 13. Ace is either 1 or 14.”
Apr 30 22:25:10 Sissil: Sissil sets down the coins for the innkeep next to the edge of the table. The amount set down should cover the drinks at the very least.
Apr 30 22:25:35 * Seong “Oh.” she looks confused.
Apr 30 22:25:35 Dry|DM: The innkeeper returns with a tray bearing the drinks; a serving girl is running the bar now, and he seems to have brought an extra bottle. “Whiskey. Unspecified alcohol. Water,” he says, handing out the drinks. He seems to have brought an extra bottle and glass, as well.
Apr 30 22:26:25 Corwyn: Corwyn’s legs swing off the table and she rises to her feet, opening up her bag for Zi to hop back into. She grabs her chair and drags it behind her to the table with the other woman. “Deal me in,” she remarks rather unceremoniously, laying down a few coins. She offers a smile to each of them, sitting once her chair in possition. “Nothing wrong with winning a bit of money.”
Apr 30 22:26:50 Dry|DM: The innkeeper studies the coins for a moment, then sweeps them up. “Much obliged.”
Apr 30 22:28:29 * Seong “Amazing, thank you.” She’s already sipping at hers. “Okay so, if I have three of the king ones, and two of the tens, that’s nothing, right?”
Apr 30 22:28:42 Sissil: “Always found paying before I drink to be a wise choice. Saves drunk forgetfullness later being a problem.” She finishes up the current hand with group already in, then deals a new hand, pausing to motion towards the innkeep to see if he’s interested. She adds some copper coins infront of herself to play. Apparently Sissil isn’t much into gambling ‘real’ amounts of cash. “So, what brings the rest of you on this adventure into
Apr 30 22:28:42 Sissil: the woo….ds”
Apr 30 22:29:01 Sissil: “Also, the goal is to not let us know what you have. That is considered a ‘full house’, and is actually a fairly nice hand.”
Apr 30 22:29:21 Zekki: “Thanks!” Is Zekkis cheerful response to the innkeeper, taking her water and putting it into the diffuser, gently turning up the flame so there are bubbles and filtering and drip drip dripping of the first of her potions. Whilst that is happening — and she has a line up of another two essenses waiting to be infused into a vial - she starts putting together mechanisms and bomb parts. Which at this point involves carving and
Apr 30 22:29:21 Zekki: smoothing the shells.
Apr 30 22:29:54 * Dry|DM has quit (Ping timeout: 181 seconds)
Apr 30 22:31:49 * Dry (~Dry@B74AEC41.B5100FCD.E5E78BCC.IP) has joined
Apr 30 22:31:49 * ChanServ sets modes [#hammerofnight +qo Dry Dry]
Apr 30 22:32:09 * Dry is now known as Dry|DM
Apr 30 22:34:00 Bira: “Cultural exchange. I have here,” she taps the tome, “notes and mnemonics on songs and stories of various events in dwarven history. With any luck I can provide these to scholarso f other races and add my own notes on their own histories.”
Apr 30 22:34:45 * Seong “I always wondered how that happened.” She notes to Bira.
Apr 30 22:35:20 Dry|DM: The innkeeper pours himself a shot out of the extra bottle, takes a drink, then nods satisfaction. He takes a seat at a nearby table and pours himself another shot as he listens.
Apr 30 22:37:57 Corwyn: lCorwyn takes a moment ot look at her cards, and then lays them face down. “Nothing,” is a quick answer offered to Sissil. “Money, I guess. Getting to new places.”
Apr 30 22:38:41 Zekki: “I’ll happily have a look see at whatever you want to show me to read.” Zekki notes lightly, looking up from her tinkering. “I’m heading north ish. Soon as I figure out where specifically north I needa go, that is.” Which explains why she’s heading -south
again.
Apr 30 22:39:23 Sissil: “… I’m from the north but going south. Because I need some time off. This is time off.” She looks at her cards, and lays them down flat. Can’t beat that full house.
Apr 30 22:39:33 * Ash (uid94754@PSI-3F326500.irccloud.com) has joined
Apr 30 22:41:04 Bira: “Mm.” Bira takes a bite of sausage and lays out her cards. “Two pairs, I think. New places is also a reason, I suppose. Turned 65 last month and hadn’t left Thera yet.”
Apr 30 22:41:32 * Seong “Oh. so I guess I don’t discard any, right? Does everyone folding mean I get the money?”
Apr 30 22:43:20 Dry|DM: “Well, if nothing else, you’ve found a good place for time off,” the innkeeper chuckles. “Not much happens here.” The door swings open again, prompting the innkeeper to turn to look; it’s the wagon driver, looking worn out. He spots the party’s table and heads over, sighing. “It’s all in the wainwright’s hands now,” he says, looking depressed.
Apr 30 22:44:32 Sissil: “Nothing you could do about it, young one. Bad luck happens sometimes.” She gathers the cards. “And yeah, fullhouse wins the round if that’s what you got. Show em at the end of the round so we can see.”
Apr 30 22:46:27 * Seong “Oh. I don’t remember that being a rule.” She says innocently, and lays down a hand of nothing only after she’s gathered up the copper pieces.
Apr 30 22:47:22 Dry|DM: “Not THAT young,” the driver grumbles, looking sour.
Apr 30 22:47:37 Dry|DM: As Seong lays down her cards, the innkeeper throws back his head and laughs.
Apr 30 22:47:48 Sissil: Sissil eyes up the dwarf. “… Buy you a drink, lad?” She grins at Seong. “Noted.”
Apr 30 22:47:50 Bira: “So… in theory I should have won that, yes?” Bira points at the threes and fives face-up on the table i nfront of her.
Apr 30 22:48:08 Sissil: "Actually, you did win that because you didn’t fold.
Apr 30 22:48:12 Zekki: “You gonna be okay? The wagons’ll travel more slowly, laden as they are.” Zekki asks the wagon driver, capping off one vial, and replacing it with another.
Apr 30 22:48:21 Sissil: “So, take your copper from the goldling.”
Apr 30 22:48:43 * Seong blinks. She missed that. “Damn.” she pushes the copper back across the table.
Apr 30 22:49:35 * Bira hums appreciatively and makes a small tower out of the coins.
Apr 30 22:50:18 Dry|DM: Even as the driver places his order and the innkeeper heads back to the bar to get it, he’s still chuckling, making his belly quake like a bowl full of jelly.
Apr 30 22:51:58 Bira: The dwarf takes a drink of her ale, then looks closer at the page in front of her, then flips back a few dozen pages before comparing the two pages repeatedly, scratchign at one eyebrow.
Apr 30 22:53:17 Dry|DM: The innkeeper comes back, bearing a steak sandwich and a small bottle of dwarven ale for the driver.
Apr 30 22:55:07 Sissil: Sissil digs out another coin to cover the driver’s meal. He’s had a rough enough day. She then deals out another hand.
Apr 30 22:56:26 Dry|DM: As before, the innkeeper sits and watches; the driver, for his part, nods appreciation to Sissil. “Thanks; a good meal might not make everything better, but it surely won’t hurt.”
Apr 30 22:57:00 * Seong “Eh, it was all out of your hands. There’s no sense in getting upset.”
Apr 30 22:58:24 Dry|DM: “Not a lot of sense in it, but even so; hard not to be upset when the mine falls in and you’re stuck on the wrong side of the cave-in. First trip out, too.” He looks glum.
Apr 30 22:59:18 Sissil: “Know what you mean. I… have had some bad luck in my past. Usually with the good luck being surviving the bad luck.”
Apr 30 23:00:09 Dry|DM: He takes a large bite of the sandwich, though, which seems to cheer him up. “Mmf mg,” he says, then, swallowing, he repeats himself in a more understandable dialect. “How so?”
Apr 30 23:00:13 Zekki: Three little vials of things later, and Zekki slides them over towards the wagon driver, “Just in case something happens, while Ambrutus isn’t there to give them a proper telling off.” Because obviously, the enthusiastic dog does the majority of the weight in the caravan guarding. Obviously. “We ought to catch up with the remaining wagon tomorrow, so if anything happens in between, hopefully this’ll help.”
Apr 30 23:00:50 Corwyn: “Psssh.” Corwyn rolls her eyes, taking a long sip her glass. “At least y’ survived the cave in. Be happy f’r the small things, they go pretty quick.”
Apr 30 23:01:06 Sissil: “… I’ve been unlucky enough to been putting things away in a cache when an oil jar broke over the torch I was carrying. That kind of thing.”
Apr 30 23:02:22 Dry|DM: “Obliged,” he says to Zekki, carefully putting the vials into his belt pouch; as Corwyn and Sissil speak, he nods slowly. “I know it’s… not that big a thing. Just kinda mortifying. Especially on the first trip out.” He takes another large bite of the sandwich.
Apr 30 23:02:47 * Seong “There’s no meaning to it. Just random chance.”
Apr 30 23:06:42 Dry|DM: “Mmf,” he responds, giving a reluctant nod. The innkeeper chuckles. “Look at the bright side! It could be worse. You have booze and a sandwich. You could be without booze and sandwiches, and then the world would be a much sadder place, no?”
Apr 30 23:08:02 Dry|DM: The driver blinks, then slowly pulls his bottle of liquor closer, drawing another laugh from the innkeeper as he levers himself to his feet. “If you’ll be wanting room for the night—and I imagine you will, yes?—let me know.” With that, he takes his own bottle and heads back towards the bar.
Apr 30 23:09:32 Dry|DM: Next time, on When Falls the Hammer of Night: ADVENTURE!

Session 1

When Falls the Hammer of Night RIZero